Sports are an important element of a child’s growth and development. They aid in the growth of psychological well-being as well as bodily health. Participating in sports activities can help a child develop a variety of skills, enhance their experience, and boost their confidence, which will help them develop their character to become a better person.
Research has proven that athletes have been known to have improved cognitive skills and better memory functions of the brain; hence, participating in sports helps children perform better in academics. Furthermore, sports traits discipline and perseverance in a child, which play an important part in better academic performance.
Below mentioned are some benefits of sports and other physical activity:
- Many athletes perform better academically.
- Playing sport boosts energy.
- Sports teach children teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Several health benefits are associated with sports.
- Sports help to boost self-esteem.
- Sports reduce pressure and stress.
- Aid weight management.
- It reduces health risk.
- Sports strengthen bones and muscles.
- Instills discipline to complete daily activities.
- Helps to manage chronic health conditions.
Hence, sports camps and summer sports for kids are absolutely necessary. Mentioned below are some popular summer sports for kids.
- Football: Nothing screams sports louder during summer vacations than football. Kids will indulge in it for hours; it does not even have to be coordinated or planned. It is one of the most popular sports and has been considered one of the best sports for kids to play. It is more commonly known as football around the world, but it is known as soccer in the US. It is a team sport that is played between two teams, each consisting of 11 players. They must use their feet primarily to propel a ball around a rectangular field and to score a goal.
- Swimming: The benefits of swimming are many. Swimming, being a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise, relieves stress. Swimming also improves flexibility, coordination, balance, and posture. It provides a pleasant way to cool down on a hot summer day.
- Bicycling: Which is also known as bike riding or cycling. It is easy to find a bike riders’ group. It is a sport that helps to increase cardiovascular fitness and strengths muscles along with flexibility. Bike riding improves joint mobility and decreases stress levels to quite an extent. It helps to build bone strength and decreases body fat levels. It contributes to improved posture and coordination, overall preventing high-risk diseases and managing good health and physical fitness.
- Basketball: It is a team sport in which two teams compete to score. It consists of five players on each team, opposing one another on a rectangular court. The primary objective to compete is to shoot a basketball through the defender’s hoop and prevent the opposing team from shooting the ball through their own hoop.
- Tennis: It is a racket sport that is played either individually against a single opponent or in doubles between two teams of two players each. Each player uses a racket specific to tennis that is strung with cord to strike a rubber ball that is hollow and covered with felt. The players have to strike it over a net and into the opponent’s court
- Badminton: It is a sport played using racquets to hit a shuttlecock across a net. The most common forms of the game are “singles” and “doubles”. It can be played with one player on each side or two players on each side at a time on the court.
- Cricket: Cricket is a game that is played between two teams, each consisting of eleven players, at the center of a field. The game is played with a bat and a ball. The field is a 22-yard pitch with a wicket at each end, each comprising two bails balanced on three stumps. It is a sport that unites the whole country, and people of all ages and genders have a passion for this sport in India.
- Gymnastics: The movements involved in gymnastics contribute to the development of the arms, legs, shoulders, back, chest, and abdominal muscles, which provide overall muscle strength. It is a type of sport that includes rigorous physical exercises that require a lot of flexibility. It helps with balance, strengthens the muscles, improves agility and coordination, and definitely enhances endurance.
- Volleyball: It is a team sport that helps to build teamwork in kids. In which the two teams are separated by a net, and each team consists of six players. Each team tries to score points by grounding a ball on the other team’s court under rules that are organized for a fair game. It has been a part of the official summer camp sports activities program for a long time.
- Table tennis: There are several health benefits that come with the sport table tennis, among which are hand-eye coordination and mental acuity. It improves reflexes and balance, it strengthens the legs, arms, and the core muscles. Moreover, it provides a social outlet that definitely benefits mental well-being and improves physical health. It is also known as aerobic fitness.
Also Read: Importance of Sports in a Student’s Life
Mentioned above are some summer sports for kids that are always included in summer camp sports activities. Here are some great benefits of sports camps and summer sports to maintain children’s well-being and development during summer vacations:
- Helps children maintain health and stamina.
- Children learn new techniques and skills from professionals.
- Teaches children work ethic and develops responsibility.
- Strengthens a child’s brain function.
- Provides unique opportunities for self-expression and exploration.
- Helps to manage and at times eradicate anxiety and depression.
- Reduces social media and digital screen time for kids.
- Improves a child’s self-esteem and confidence.
Many may ask what a sports camp is. Well, it is an establishment that provides lodging, meals, and guide services for many activities for children and adults. They emphasize outdoor recreation and activities such as fishing and camping in the wilderness. Usually, it consists of a set schedule of activities for children and adults to indulge in.
There are several benefits of summer sports and sports camps for kids. Mentioned below are a few:
- It provides overall health and fitness to a child.
- It teaches them to be responsible for their own actions.
- Increases a child’s tolerance level and brings about cultural awareness.
- Teaches kids social skills, discipline, and intercultural communication.
- Introduces children to new activities and new sports.
At EuroSchool, we encourage every student to indulge in learning a new sport as often as possible until they find their true sport attachment. As we all know, physical activity and sport are ways of keeping ourselves away from risky diseases and maintaining our overall body fitness. Hence, it is advised that everyone must introduce themselves to at least one type of physical activity and indulge in it on a daily basis.