The history of calculators is a testament to human ingenuity and the pursuit of efficient mathematical computations. From ancient tools like the abacus to 17th-century mechanical calculators such as Blaise Pascal’s Pascaline and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz’s stepped reckoner, the journey led to Charles Babbage’s visionary “Analytical Engine” in the 19th century, setting the stage for modern computing. In the mid-20th century, electronic calculators, including Texas Instruments’ first handheld model in 1972, revolutionised calculation methods.
These innovations reshaped how we calculate, paving the way for advanced scientific calculators and, more recently, online calculators and smartphone apps, making maths accessible and convenient for all. When it comes to high school, choosing the right calculator can significantly impact your academic journey. Whether tackling complex maths equations or scientific experiments, a quality calculator is a valuable tool. In this buying guide, we’ll help you explore the calculator buying guide and recommend the best online scientific and basic calculators for your high school needs.
Understanding the Types of Calculators
Before we delve into the specifics, it’s essential to understand the two primary types of calculators you may encounter in high school: scientific calculators and basic calculators.
- These calculators are designed for advanced maths and science classes.
- They can perform complex calculations, handle trigonometric functions, and more.
- Ideal for high school students studying subjects like physics, chemistry, and advanced mathematics.
- Best scientific calculator.
- They provide basic mathematical operations such as multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction.
- For high school kids taking lower-level maths classes, they are perfect.
- Best basic calculator.
Now, let’s dive deeper into each type and explore the best options available online.
The Best Scientific Calculators
- TI-84 Plus CE: A popular and highly recommended scientific calculator for high school students. It can be utilised for a range of subjects due to its many features and functionalities. This calculator is renowned for its comprehensive selection of pre-loaded apps, high-resolution colour screen, and easy-to-use interface. It’s a popular option for science and advanced maths courses.
- Casio FX-115ES PLUS: The Casio FX-115ES PLUS is an excellent alternative to the TI-84 Plus CE. It has many features, including an intuitive interface, a large number of mathematical functions, and a natural textbook display. For high school students enrolled in difficult scientific and maths classes, it’s a dependable option.
- Scientific Calculator HP 35s: A good choice if you’d rather use a more conventional scientific calculator is the HP 35s. It’s designed to resemble older scientific calculators, making it a favourite among engineering and science students. This calculator is durable, has a two-line display, and offers a range of functions for high school-level maths and science.
- Texas Instruments TI-Nspire CX II CAS: This is a great option for students who require the most sophisticated scientific calculator available. It comes with a touchpad, a full-colour screen, and a large selection of pre-loaded apps. This calculator is suitable for students in advanced placement (AP) classes and those taking complex calculus courses.
- Sharp EL-W516TBSL Advanced Scientific Calculator: The Sharp EL-W516TBSL is a reliable and cost-effective scientific calculator. It’s packed with essential features for high school students and has a large, easy-to-read display. This calculator is ideal for students looking for affordability without compromising on functionality.
Also Read: National Interactive Maths Olympiad
The Best Scientific Calculator Online
- Wolfram Alpha: Wolfram Alpha is a powerful best scientific calculator online tool that functions as a virtual scientific calculator. It can produce graphs, solve intricate mathematical puzzles, and offer step-by-step answers. It’s a useful tool for high school pupils who require help with difficult maths and science difficulties even though it’s not an actual calculator.
- Desmos: Desmos is an online graphing calculator that offers a user-friendly interface and is ideal for visualising mathematical concepts. It’s perfect for high school students studying functions, equations, and graph-related topics. It’s also readily available online and free of cost.
- Symbolab: Symbolab is an online calculator that specialises in solving algebraic equations, calculus problems, and more. It is an excellent resource for high school pupils studying complex arithmetic subjects because it offers thorough, step-by-step solutions.
- GeoGebra: It’s an online maths program that integrates algebra, geometry, spreadsheets, graphing, and other concepts. For high school students who require an interactive approach to learning geometric and algebraic principles, this is the ideal advanced scientific calculator resource.
Choosing the Right Scientific Calculator
To choose the best scientific calculator for your high school needs, consider the following factors:
- Compatibility with School Requirements: Check if your school has specific requirements or restrictions on calculator models. Some schools may recommend or require certain calculator brands or models.
- Functionality: Evaluate the functions and features offered by the calculator. Ensure it can handle the complexity of the subjects you are studying, such as trigonometry, calculus, and statistical analysis.
- User Interface: Look for a calculator with a user-friendly interface. The ease of use can significantly impact your efficiency and productivity in class and during exams.
- Battery Life: Consider the battery life of the calculator. A long-lasting battery is essential to ensure your calculator doesn’t run out of power during important exams.
- Durability: High school students often use their calculators in various settings, so opt for a durable calculator that can withstand the wear and tear of daily use.
- Price: Determine your budget and choose a calculator that fits within it. Keep in mind that while some advanced calculators may be more expensive, they are a valuable investment for your education.
The Best Basic Calculators
While scientific calculators are essential for advanced maths and science courses, the best basic calculators are also valuable tools for high school students in lower-level maths classes or for simple calculations.
- Casio SL-300SV Basic Calculator: The Casio SL-300SV is a reliable and affordable basic calculator. It offers fundamental arithmetic functions and a solar-powered battery, ensuring it’s always ready for use.
- Texas Instruments TI-30Xa: The TI-30Xa is a simple, compact, and budget-friendly calculator. It’s perfect for basic maths classes and provides essential functions for everyday calculations.
Choosing the Right Basic Calculator
When choosing a basic calculator, take into account the following aspects:
- Essential Operations: Make sure that the calculator can do addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, among other fundamental arithmetic operations.
- Battery Type: Decide whether you prefer a solar-powered calculator or one that uses replaceable batteries. Solar-powered options are eco-friendly, while battery-operated calculators may last longer.
- Size and Portability: Choose a calculator that fits your preferences in terms of size and portability. A smaller calculator may be more convenient for carrying to and from school.
- Price: Basic calculators are typically budget-friendly. Select one that offers the functions you need without unnecessary features.
Having the appropriate calculator in high school can make all the difference in your academic performance. Make an informed decision based on your specific needs and the criteria of your school, whether you choose to use a basic calculator for daily calculations or a scientific calculator for handling difficult maths and science problems. Remember, the best scientific calculators mentioned in this guide, such as the TI-84 Plus CE and Casio FX-115ES PLUS, are top-rated for a reason, and online tools like Wolfram Alpha and Desmos can be the best scientific calculator online supplements your learning. Make your selection wisely, and your calculator will become an invaluable tool to help you excel.
EuroSchool recognises the importance of selecting the right calculator for high school students. A suitable calculator can enhance the learning experience and aid in complex mathematical and scientific studies. In this comprehensive calculator buying guide, EuroSchool aims to assist high school students in making informed choices. By providing recommendations and insights into the best scientific calculator online and basic calculators available, EuroSchool aims to ensure that students have the appropriate tools to excel in their academic pursuits. This guide simplifies the process of choosing the right calculator, helping students find the perfect fit for their high school needs, ultimately contributing to their success and academic growth.